The benefits of using compost in your home garden or flower beds have been touted for many years, so most people are aware of the advantages associated with using it for residential landscaping. However, if you are unable to do your own composting or if you would like to use composting for commercial properties, it is possible to purchase quality grade compost from a respected, local source.
J&J Materials, which has two convenient locations in Southeastern Massachusetts and a wide delivery range that extends to Rhode Island, is the place to go where to buy commercial compost for professional or advanced landscaping and gardening. Many of today’s commercial landscaping tips include data that shows how composting can boost growing results, provide for healthier and stronger plants, due to improved soil quality. This article will focus on talking about how to use compost in Middleborough and the surrounding area, for both residential and commercial properties.
Advantages of Using Commercial Compost
Now that you know where to buy commercial compost, it’s time to talk about why you should use it in the first place. Compost can help to save gardeners and landscapers a lot of time and money because it works by improving low-quality soil through the addition of stable, naturally-processed organic matter. Good microbes work to consume nutrients, which are then broken down for faster use by plants, reduces the need for fertilizers and pesticides, protecting local ground water from contamination and other side-effects caused by using these harmful chemical treatments.
Quality grade compost has the ability to:
- improve the soil’s ability to retain moisture
- improve the soil’s ability to retain nutrients
- prevent erosion of the soil by improving texture
- help new plants to establish better
- reduce the need for pesticides by suppressing soil-borne diseases
- reduce the need for fertilizers by providing important plant nutrients
- save money by costing less than high quality topsoil, while providing the same benefits at a fraction of the cost
How to Properly Use Compost in Commercial Applications
If you have ever used compost in your home garden, you are aware of how it is used and where it can be added. In addition to helping plants, veggies, fruits, shrubs and trees grow at home in your own backyard, there are many valuable commercial landscaping tips and applications associated with using commercial, quality grade compost.
- Blended With Topsoil – Many commercial varieties of topsoil that are now available include a certain percentage of quality grade compost to provide consumers with all of the nutrients and improved soil texture they need to improve growth.
- Establishing New Turf – If you are looking for tips on how to use compost in Middleborough for turf establishment, just mix in some commercial compost with your existing soil prior to planting grass seed. It will help the roots to be stronger and prevent erosion from accidental over-watering during the seeding process.
- Soil Improvement – There are a couple of ways to improve the quality of your soil in Southeastern Massachusetts. If you have sandy or clay dominant soil, you could use professional loam, which is also available at J&J Materials, or you could use quality grade compost mixed in with your existing soil to improve texture and growing properties.
- Planting Trees & Shrubs – Everything that you plant and grow can benefit by commercial landscaping tips that include the use of commercial compost mixed in with the existing soil or purchased topsoil.
- Turf Improvement – If you have bare patches or problems getting grass to grow, mix in some compost with the existing soil or sprinkle compost on the area when you over-seed or re-seed the spot for faster, heartier growth.
- Forestry – Believe it or not, quality grade compost is being used in protected natural preserves and lands to improve growth in areas where growth has been inhibited due to human involvement or other local issues.
- Erosion Control – As mentioned above, controlling soil erosion is yet another benefit of using commercial compost on every project. It can improve the soil’s texture and ability to hold nutrients and water, while still allowing water to flow through so it does not become over-saturated, leading to erosion and damage to the area.
How to Identify Quality Grade Compost
The different levels of quality that identify a good commercial compost are determined by the ingredients that are in the compost itself, as well as the “maturity” of the compost. It is easy to spot a mature compost, as it will be rich and dark in color with a crumbly texture. There should be a pleasant soil smell, not an unpleasant or rotted odor. Currently there are no requirements made for the labeling of commercial compost, however it is important to know where to buy commercial compost in order to get the best quality available in your area.
When you visit J&J Materials, feel free to speak with our team of customer service agents to find out more about the finished commercial compost that we sell. We can tel you about the pH and salt content, what it is made of and whether or not the compost has undergone any type of testing for contaminants or metals. The compost produced and sold by J&J Materials consists of grass and leaves that have been decomposed through the composting process, resulting in a quality product that works great for gardens, turf, plantings and more.