Homeowners are always looking for new ways to update the look of their homes. A fireplace is one of those focal pieces that can set the tone for the entire room. A fireplace that is old, outdated, chipped or worn out can dominate the entire room and, regardless of any other remodeling or redecorating that is done, can bring down the look and feel of the space.
A stone fireplace remodel is often an affordable and immediately impacting project that many homeowners are now choosing to do. With so many different types of natural stone veneer now available in the South Coast region, including stacked stone materials, natural fieldstone materials and other products, homeowners have a lot of choices available in color, texture and style.
Affordable and Simple
One of the best advantages of choosing to do a stone fireplace remodel using natural stone veneer is that it is very affordable, while also being very simple and easy to do. In fact, homeowners who don’t have a lot of DIY experience or experience working with natural fieldstone materials, are still able to create a beautiful stone fireplace remodel using a quality natural stone veneer.
While any project can quickly become frustrating and end up costing you a lot more time and money than you anticipate, planning your stone fireplace remodel in advance, knowing what to expect and getting tips that will help your project to run smoothly can help. The rest of this article will be dedicated to helping you to make the right choice when you shop for stacked stone materials and other types of natural stone veneer, as well as tips for preparing the area, installing the materials and other helpful hints.
- Manufactured vs. Natural Stone Veneer – When it comes time to do your stone fireplace remodel, you have two primary choices to make. Do you want to use manufactured veneer or natural stone veneer? The materials that you choose will make a difference in the way that the finished project will look and feel. It will also affect the way that you must install the materials and how they must be cared for throughout the life of your new fireplace. Budget can also sometimes be a factor, however most natural fieldstone materials that are cut to be thin natural stone veneer are priced similarly to manufactured products.
- Styles and Colors – There are lots of different styles of natural stone veneer and manufactured stone veneer to choose from and each comes in its own unique array of colors and tones. Choose from a variety of natural fieldstone materials, stacked stone materials and other natural products for your stone fireplace remodel. Some designers are now taking to using two different types of stone together in combination, such as flagstone and fieldstone to create unique textures and colors. Another method for creating a unique look is to take two different colors in the same type of stone, such as tan and gray natural fieldstone materials and use them together to create a pattern or interesting look.
- Edging, Trim and Keystones – You can choose to make your stone fireplace remodel look fancy, complicated and patterned or you can choose to create a very basic layout with or without a stone trim made from natural fieldstone materials. Your best bet is to keep it simple, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience working with natural stone veneer or manufactured veneer products. You could also do a basic keystone arch around the fireplace opening, but then fill in the rest of the space with your natural stone veneer. Options for this include a single, large stone above the fireplace opening or a row of single-height trim stones over top the opening. However, it is possible to use any combination of styles, types and color patterns to create basic or intricate designs.
- Mantel Design – Even if you don’t currently have a mantel for your fireplace, you can add one when you do your stone fireplace remodel. There are several different materials that designers and homeowners choose to create a great-looking mantel when working with natural stone veneer, including stone or wood. Just make sure that you plan your mantel design before you start installing the natural stone veneer to make sure that there’s room for it to be installed properly.
- Hearth Design – Speak with a customer service representative at J&J Materials about a coordinating hearthstone or other related product that could be used for this purpose. Large natural fieldstone materials that come in slab-size or treads would look great as a natural hearth. If you are purchasing manufactured products, make sure to look at the hearthstone product carefully to make sure it’s what you want. You can always mix and match, purchasing natural stone materials for the hearth even if you used manufactured veneer for the rest of the project. Use multiple stones mortared together made of matching stacked stone materials or choose to use one large slab made from natural fieldstone materials. It all depends on your taste, needs and budget.
Where to Get Natural Stone Veneer in Rheoboth, Massachusetts
If you are looking to do a stone fireplace remodel and are interested in purchasing quality natural stone veneer, natural fieldstone materials or stacked stone materials to get the job done, look no further than J&J Materials. We have a location right here in Rheoboth and another in the Bourne/Cape Cod area. Our delivery service extends throughout Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We have a wide variety of natural fieldstone materials, manufactured products, tools, accessories and more for you to browse and purchase for your next project. Stop by or give us a call – our team of friendly and helpful representatives are here to help!