There are many different uses for bluestone pavers and other cut bluestone materials. While most people instantly think of walkways and pathways, the strength and durability of this natural stone makes it perfect for steps, treads, driveways and other types of paving projects. However, the beauty of natural cleft bluestone or thermal bluestone materials makes it a great choice for aesthetic veneer treatments both indoors and outdoors.
Another great feature of using bluestone is that it is great for areas that get wet or are normally slippery when other materials are used. From bluestone stair treads to pavers around a pool or spa, indoor uses for kitchens and bathrooms – the possibilities are endless. No matter how you slice it – pun intended – thermal bluestone, natural cleft bluestone, bluestone stair treads and all varieties of cut bluestone, this is a beautiful natural material.
It is the versatility of this material that allows it to be used for residential projects, outdoor living spaces, commercial buildings and public structures all across the country and right here in Westport, Massachusetts. It is a perfect material for New England homeowners because it can stand up to the typical wear-and-tear associated with regular exposure to changing temperatures within the northeastern climate.
The Different Finishes Associated With Natural Bluestone Materials
One of the great attractions to natural bluestone materials is the fact that it is available in many different finishes. This is why it is used frequently by designers, architects, homeowners and contractors. There are three primary types of bluestone finishes that are currently sold for residential and commercial use.
- Thermal Bluestone – This type of bluestone is most commonly used for driveways, pathways, walkways, sidewalks, patios and decks where the surface needs to be non-slip. The non-slip surface is created through heat-treating the bluestone until a textured groove is created.
- Honed Finish Bluestone – This type of cut bluestone is most often suggested for use indoors where a smooth and thin paver finish is most appreciated. It is not as durable as thermal bluestone, so it wouldn’t be great for heavy traffic areas, such as driveways and walkways.
- Natural Cleft Bluestone – This type of finish is excellent for a homeowner that is looking for the most natural-looking finish. It does not have a uniform texture so it is not as consistent as other types of cut bluestone, but that’s the point – it looks a lot more natural.
The Various Color Ranges Available in Natural Bluestone Materials
Another advantage of using natural cut bluestone is that there are a lot of different colors that it can come in based upon where it was harvested. Each paver is unique from every other paver, ranging not just in color but also in tone. Below is a list of the most common color options available in bluestone stair treads and other types of cut bluestone.
- blue grays
The Most Popular Applications of Natural Bluestone Materials
Homeowners in Westport have a lot of options available to them in the way that they can use natural bluestone materials and cut bluestone in special finishes. Bluestone can be used as primary paving materials, veneer and as bluestone stair treads, both indoors and outdoors.
- BATHROOMS – Colorful thermal bluestone is excellent for use on bathroom floors and walls. Because it is non-slip and has water-resistant properties, it will look great and perform beautifully for many years to come.
- LIVING ROOMS – An excellent choice for New England living rooms, the decorative options associated with natural cleft bluestone and other types of cut bluestone make it perfect for living room flooring and veneer facing projects.
- KITCHENS – Again, the thermal bluestone is a great choice for kitchens because of its non-slip and water-resistant properties. Premium pavers made from cut bluestone will look beautiful with any kitchen style or theme.
- POOLS/SPAS – Bluestone is highly recommended for pool and spa areas because of the non-slip properties associated with thermal bluestone. Each paver will have a unique color, tone, texture and style that can be used to complement pool, spa and other recreation areas both indoors and outdoors.
- PATIOS – Many homeowners are now choosing to use natural cleft bluestone and other types of cut bluestone to create beautiful patios. They work great with a outdoor living spaces that are in the Mediterranean, modern, contemporary and Old World theme.
- WALKWAYS/PATHWAYS – This is a great material to use for garden paths, walkways and stepping stone pathways. The natural range of colors found in cut bluestone can complement or accent a garden area beautifully.
Where to Get Natural Bluestone Materials in Westport, Massachusetts
If you are looking for bluestone or other natural stone materials to complete your outdoor living space or indoor remodeling project, look no further than J&J Materials. In addition to beautiful thermal bluestone, natural cleft bluestone, bluestone stair treads and natural cut bluestone, J&J Materials also has many other flagstone materials for residential and commercial property owners. J&J Materials has two locations in Southeastern Massachusetts, which include one in the Bourne/Cape Cod area and another in the Seekonk/Rehoboth area. Our delivery range includes all of the South Coast region including Rhode Island. Visit one of our locations or contact our customer service agents to find out more about all of the natural cut bluestone materials available at J&J Materials.