One of the most popular backyard home improvement projects that homeowners have been building in the past few years is to build an outdoor kitchen. This trend hasn’t been lost on homeowners right here in Southeastern Massachusetts. In fact, many locals are working to expand outdoor living in Rehoboth, Seekonk and all throughout the region. There are a lot of unique options to choose from that will help you to spend more time cooking and entertaining outdoors, enjoying the beautiful weather of the seasons and hosting memorable get-togethers in your own backyard.
A Whole New World
Just a few years ago, the only people who had access to quality materials and products that would help you to build a custom kitchen for outdoor cooking were commercial property owners and wealthy homeowners. Now, thanks to local companies like J&J Materials, anyone can build an outdoor kitchen and enjoy cooking outdoors in Massachusetts, exploring and increasing outdoor living opportunities through simple backyard home improvement projects. From grills to build-in natural stone kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, stone patios and more, J&J Materials can help you get the materials you need to get the results you desire.
Some of the elements that you may want to consider to build an outdoor kitchen include:
- barbecue grill
- propane gas cooktop
- counters for preparation
- fire pit or fireplace
- brick or stone pizza oven
- storage cabinets and cupboards
- counter for eating or table and chairs
- outdoor sink for washing and rinsing
- proper flooring
- shelter from the elements
Some elements that can add a personal touch to outdoor living in Rehoboth include:
- water feature
- drop-in stove with multiple burners
- smoker or rotisserie
- brick, concrete or natural stone countertops
- natural stone or brick veneer fireplace
- matching natural stone flooring
- pergolas and other aesthetic coverings
- coordinating walkways and pathways
Tips for Cooking Outdoors in Massachusetts
Because there are so many options available for backyard home improvement projects, it is important to pay attention to the tips that are given to make sure that they are appropriate for your area. When you build an outdoor kitchen in Southeastern Massachusetts, you will want to adjust your plans depending on if you live near the water or more inland, in an area that has more moisture and humidity or an area that is rural and windy. Outdoor living in Rehoboth should be designed based on your lifestyle, the amount of space that you have available on your property and, of course, your budget.
- Cooking – Think outside the basic barbecue grill and consider other cooking options. A rotisserie over top of a fire pit or cooking inside of a fireplace can be a great way to enjoy your new outdoor living space. You can also go more modern and get a completely built-in kitchen kit that will provide you with all the comforts of home.
- Waterproof – Whatever you decide to put or use outdoors, make sure that it is waterproofed and rated for use outside. Everything from appliances to countertops, cabinets and cupboards to furniture, it should all be protected from the elements and designed for use in your outdoor living space.
- Storage – Don’t overlook the benefits of adding storage with your new backyard home improvement projects. Cabinets, cupboards, storage bins, benches that double as storage – there are lots of options that can be used to keep things like cooking tools, dishes, cups, napkins, placemats, tablecloths and utensils – for quick and easy use.
- Counters – Pay attention to the width or depth of your countertops. An eat-on countertop should be at least 15 inches deep. To figure out how much room you would need for your family to eat at the counter comfortably, figure approximately 24 inches in width for each person. Choose natural stone materials that are not permeable or that have been treated for outdoor use as countertops.
- Wood – Be careful with wood materials. If not properly treated, most types of wood will rot, attract insects, crack or split over time. However, there are certain types of wood, such as redwood or teak, that are chosen for their natural resistance to rot. If wood is desired for look, feel and texture, consider using premium hemlock or aged pinebark mulch around the patio and garden areas for a natural aesthetic appeal.
- Sink – If you are going to be cooking outdoors in Massachusetts or anywhere else, it is important to have a sink. You can feed the outdoor sink by attaching it to your home’s water supply or by a garden hose. An outdoor sink should be made out of ceramic or stainless steel.
- Flooring – One of the most important elements to consider when designing for outdoor living in Rehoboth is the flooring. Choose from natural stone materials or manufactured materials to create a great foundation for your backyard home improvement projects.
Where to Get Materials for Outdoor Living in Rehoboth
Visit J&J Materials for everything that you could ever want to help build an outdoor kitchen or complete any number of backyard home improvement projects. With two locations in Massachusetts, one in Bourne and the other right here in Rehoboth, J&J Materials has a wide variety of natural stone materials, products and accessories to help you complete any type of outdoor living project. Give us a call or stop by one of our locations to see what we have available for homeowners in the South Coast region.