When you are looking to purchase materials to build a brand new patio or to expand your outdoor living space in New Bedford or anywhere in Southeastern Massachusetts, it is important to know the industry lingo so you’ll know what type of materials you are getting. For example, concrete pavers often go by the name patio blocks, patio slabs or just pavers, depending on the manufacturer and the company that sells them. Interlocking pavers that form a patterned stone paving texture can come in a wide variety of colors and shapes. They are easy to install and can be removed and re-installed to replace broken or stained pieces without having to do a lot of extra work.
How Are Patio Blocks Being Used?
The use of these concrete patio materials is becoming more popular all the time. In fact, homeowners throughout the New England area and across America are using them for a wide variety of different outdoor living space projects. The growth of this industry comes from advances made to the technology behind the creation of these concrete stones and the ability to get a natural looking stone paving texture at a fraction of the cost compared to natural stone materials.
Pavers and patio slabs are used all around the world. In fact, throughout Europe studies show that there are a hundred square feet of pavers installed each year per person. In the United States, there is only one square foot of pavers installed each year per person, but that number is growing. As more and more homeowners realize the value of using these advanced, long-lasting and durable patio materials, more designers, hardscapers and masonry experts are using them to achieve the desired look, feel and affordability that their customers now demand.
In fact, the use of patio blocks and other manufactured patio materials through well-known and trusted brands, such as Belgard, Nantucket and Techo-Bloc, has grown very much in recent years for both residential and commercial projects. They can be used for landscaping, hardscaping and masonry projects where natural stone materials could only be used before. Most come with a long warranty and offer many advantages to the consumers who choose to install them as a part of their outdoor living space projects.
Some of the ways that these stone paving texture patio materials are used include:
- pool decks
- residential entrances
- municipal parks
- corporate or commercial offices
- fountain hardscaping
- streets and parking lots
The Advantages of Using Concrete Patio Materials
There are many reasons why homeowners and property owners are choosing to use manufactured patio blocks to create their outdoor living space or other hardscaping projects. Here are some of the top advantages associated with using concrete patio materials:
- SAFETY – Beyond natural stone materials, these manufactured concrete patio blocks are created with safety in mind, making them more durable and slip-resistant. This is why patio slabs are often used around pool areas, spas and other areas where water is found.
- VERSATILE – Patio blocks can often be used in other areas besides flooring. Their stone paving texture makes them an attractive material for use in raised seat walls, planter boxes, pillars, retaining walls and other hardscaping projects that will coordinate with the patio flooring.
- DURABILITY – One of the reasons why concrete patio materials are more durable than other materials is because of their makeup. For example, wooden decks and patios made from other materials, are likely to splinter, crack, fade or rot, especially here in the South Coast where patios take a punishment from the elements.
- EARTH-FRIENDLY – Because these patio materials are made from concrete, they help to conserve resources by saving lumber. They also don’t require maintenance with stains, sealers and other chemicals that can get into the environment.
- COST-EFFECTIVE – The biggest advantage associated with investing in manufactured patio materials is that while you will pay a little more up front compared to other materials, patio blocks and patio slabs will keep looking great and functioning as they should for many, many years without requiring a lot of maintenance and upkeep.
Installation Tips for Patio Blocks and Stone Paving Texture Materials
When you make plans to build your outdoor living space flooring, make sure that you create a space that is large enough to accommodate your chairs, tables, grills, outdoor kitchen equipment and other accessories. A lot of times homeowners will plan a patio that is too small or too large for the space. While bigger is always better, smaller will make you feel as though all the time and money you invested into the project went to waste.
Prepare the area for installation well, according to the manufacturers’ instructions. Dig a base that is a minimum of six to eight inches and create a well-compacted foundation using sand, gravel and other stabilizing materials. Check your progress as you build to make sure that everything is level before you finish the project with sand, gravel or other joint materials. Lighter colors will absorb less heat, so if you are building in an area where you will get all-day sun without any shade, avoid choosing dark colored patio slabs and other patio materials.
Visit the J&J Materials website for detailed tips on how to install these manufactured stone paving texture materials. Our video how-to section also has a lot of great tips and information that can be used to install patio materials, including patio blocks, natural stone, patio slabs, local stone and more. Ask about our Patio on a Pallet kits that come with all of the patio materials that you need to create a beautiful patio in just a couple of days.
Where to Get Patio Blocks and Patio Materials in New Bedford
With two locations in Southeastern Massachusetts and a wide variety of natural stone and manufactured stone paving texture products, J&J Materials is your best source for quality materials, products, tools and accessories. We also offer a delivery service to customers in Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island to help you get all of your patio blocks, patio slabs and other materials to your residential or commercial property and ready for installation. Speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service agents to find out more about our products and delivery service details.